Wednesday 15 September 2010

A Walk in Lancaster

Right. I'll have to start from the beginning. Summary: I need your help.

This morning, I left my house and caught a train to my GP, since I don't own a car, and Lancaster's a considerable distance away; train costs less than a bus. Anyway, I took a train to Lancaster, got off. Went to my GP's surgery

We sat down and had a talk. I mentioned I had a blog, but didn't give him the URL. He thinks that I might be suffering from depression, so he gave me a prescription (along with some other information, but the prescription is what's important); I went to the pharmacy, picked it up. Got the recommended dosage, took what it told me to dry, and decided to take a walk around the city

So I took a walk around; bought a kebab, sat down and ate it. Quite enjoyed it, too. I got told that I couldn't keep sitting on the bench I'd chosen, so I got up and took a walk around, eating my kebab. I kinda regretted buying it so big; I wasn't sure if I'd be able to eat it all.

So, went down a few backstreets. And when a dog (dunno what breed it was. Bit like a Labrador.) came out of an alley, I thought "hey, not like I'm gonna eat it all," and gave some to the dog. It seemed quite content with the bit of lamb it'd had, so I kept on walking. From back-street to back-street, alley to alley... I've done the walk before, I know how it goes. I always do it. Finished my kebab, found a convenient bin to put it in.

Then I heard someone scream. Loudly. I jumped out of my skin and ran down an alley; I didn't know whether I was coming towards it, or running away from it. I was just moving. Ran down that alley, into another, into another, into another.

Then I realised something.

In all my time of doing that walk, I have never been down that street. In fact, I wasn't sure if there was a street there before. It doesn't matter.

See, the thing is, I can't get out of the alleys.

I can't get to the main streets; no matter where I go or what directions I take, I just end up in the same old places. The city sounds like a city... but it's not... right. It's like someone's recreated a city, but they've only seen the music, not heard it played.

Look, what could this be? I keep thinking that I'm seeing people at the end of streets, but I run down there and there's nobody there. Nobody's in the houses; I've looked inside the windows. Nobody answers the door, nobody notices when I knock on the windows.

I'm sitting on top of a bin at the moment, typing this on my mobile. It's set to send me a text when someone replies, so please reply with all the advice you can.

Please.
-The Lexiconical-

No comments:

Post a Comment